Saturday, July 22, 2006

Garaj Baras Pyaasi Dharti Par...

Garaj baras pyasi dharti par, phir paani de maula|
Chidiyon ko daane baccho ko, gudhani de maula||

Quench this thirsty earth, O Lord|
Give seeds to the birds and sweets to the children, O Lord||


It’s about time. After a weekend of sweltering heat and humidity, storm B came rolling in. It was almost like the nursery rhyme about the itsy-bitsy spider…the only difference being the humidity lingers on…time to get used to the changes in the weather and as Al Gore says – The Inconvenient Truth or maybe it is Kali Yug (The End of our [comfy] World). Time to get used to the stench of the garbage when the heat picks up in the city…and also the blackouts, thanks to the ever-efficient private power companies! Pay them more money per billing cycle and you are guaranteed a blackout whenever a storm strikes! And while we are it, we will under-report the number suffering….you know, bad publicity is bad for business! Hail the capitalist Gods and the consumerist Culture! We are in it for the long haul…..hey, was that another lightning? Send in the Candles….

Do aur do ka jod hamesha chaar kahan hota hai|
Soch samajhwalon ko thodi nadani de maula||

When has two and two added to become four|
Give innocence to those with intelligence, O Lord||


9.00 AM: The doorbell rings! Who can it be? The UPS wala, of course! With a quick smile and book in hand, she asks,
“Do you believe in a higher power? Do you believe that God will come down to save us? Do you believe that the conflict that exists in this earth can be solved by us, mortals?”

Hmm….is this what I was woken up for? To answer these deep questions? Okay, you are asking for it. So I reply,
“No, I don’t believe in God and Yes, I do think that we work together to listen to each other, we can solve the problems….maybe.”

As if anticipating my reply, she nods and says,
“Actually, I have heard that response before (no marks for originality!). The Scriptures say that the Lord will come to show us how to live together in harmony. Well, I will leave you with this pamphlet and if you have questions, feel free to call us. Have a nice day!”

Indeed…why didn’t I think about it before? We have failed miserably and gotten such bad grades that the Lord has to come down to show us how to live in harmony (after some 2000 years)….but wait a minute, what about the Ten Commandments? Was Charleston Heston Wrong? How could he be? Do we need another Ten Commandments? Oh well….

Credits: Ghazal by Nida Fazli

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you want to live in Charleston (even if you don't know it!;-) but it's CHARLTON Heston!

So your postwoman doubles as a Jehovah's witness??!!

Nuts said...

well...i am not living in the low country where pple don't know the difference between one year and use gas guzzling machines...

charlton heston it is...funny!!