Thursday, August 02, 2007

Desis and Yamricans....two peas in a pod?

The purple-themed flight to Bangkok aboard Thai Airlines was uneventful, given that most of it was spent sleeping – the only thing to do! At 5 AM, finding the transfer desk was relatively easy compared to the long long long wait to get the boarding card for the next flight.

A desi voice behind me says:

“You walk very fast. Do you usually walk like that?”

If this is a pick-up line at 5 AM, this is going to be painful.

A la Senator Biden, I say –

“Yes” and turn back.

“Where are you going? To Malaysia?” – No, Hongkong.

“Studying” – No, Working.

“Are you Sri Lankan?” – No, Indian.

Next time, I am going start speaking French, I swear!

I think in this respect – Desis and Yamricans are similar and excel in starting conversations with anyone, no matter what the context!

No comments: