So it’s that time of the day! It’s when the brain refuses to work, and the stomach craves a cup of ‘garama garam’ Chai and Pakoras…well, pappadam will do for now. Shout out to my ‘dosts’ - Booze (for posting the first cheeky comment), and to Dols (for approving the classiness of the blog!!).
Yesterday, George (aka W, Duby-ya, or Mr. Nucular!) met John for the first Presidential debate. SS told me that the political pundits are calling it in favor of John (Round One: John 1, Dubya 0). SS, I am with you, girl. Just keeping it real, although I was ‘throwing water on your plans’ :)
I am not sure how one judges the winning or losing of a debate, which appears to be highly scripted…let’s say 95% of it was scripted (including Dubya’s expressions, his message, and not to forget, using the word ‘nucular’ at least 5 times!! :)
For the most part, you could expect W to mis-pronounce words, take his time to say things, and admirably say the same thing consistently (For a moment I thought that he was schooled in some Indian public school! Learning by heart is the strategy for success!) And you could expect Kerry to bring up his war record and him saying ‘nuclear’ , and keep his well coiffured hair. :)
The most interesting part was the other 5% - when W actually confused Saddam with Osama…I think you have to understand this. When even Rummy confuses them, how can you blame Dubya? Anyway, all these middle-eastern names sound the same.. especially mullahs and moolahs :) I was pleasantly surprised to see the leader of the free world even remember the names of the Polish President (now, who is this dude?, as opposed to an earlier time, when Gerald Ford thought that Poland was not in the Soviet Bloc), and rattle names like A. Q. Khan, and of course his buddy, Vladimir. Like G-bat said, four years of office has given him enough time to do his homework (not that there is anything wrong in gaining a little bit of knowledge). C'mon you've got to applaud an improvement!!
I think the ‘genius’ of Dubya is that he is able to lower expectations of the people by playing the role of the ignorant. So, if he speaks one coherent sentence, then it appears as though he has some kernel of intelligence…and I imagine George having the last laugh. Take for instance, Ms. Barbie, who everyday continuously played the dumb blonde (quite literally!) in class…and I think most of the time it worked…and sometimes it didn’t (only rarely!). It happened four years ago and W is at it again…and it may happen again. God Bless America!
Anyway, the best thing about the evening was my bottle of Warsteiner – Seriously, “Life is too short to drink cheap beer!”
Friday, October 01, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It was quite interesting to see a moderated debate, what with a 32 page agreement on the dos and donts, and only to be finally flouted by G's fav TV station, fox news!
It was interesting to see George speak of Vladimir, like his chadddi dost, when a few years back it was dictator putin.Hmm..I guess elections have a way of making the worst of enemies the best beer buddies (On a side note, do you think they would have settled for Coors? ;-) )
There was an interesting op-ed on the nytimes: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/02/opinion/02brooks.html. -V
hey v, thanks da for the link. checked it out. it was interesting. david brooks, dude is solpa rightist...i have seen him on PBS. anyway, didn't know that fox did the split-screen. that is really funny! let's see what happens next friday....at Wash U!!
Post a Comment